CAM WALKER BOOT is an abbreviation for Controlled Ankle Movement Walker. T
hey can also be known as a moon boot. A Cam Walker is a boot or brace that is specifically designed to immobilise the foot and ankle. It does this by having a rocker sole that rocks the foot and ankle through rather than a pivot motion of the foot. This reduces the movement through the foot and ankle joint and promotes healing of an injury within the foot, ankle and leg.
We have a large range of Cam Walkers/Moon Boots in stock at all times.
At the Kew Foot Clinic we stock a range of adults and children’s/kids size boots in high and low top.
Do I need an appointment?
- Yes an appointment is necessary to fit the boot correctly and to find one that suits your diagnosed injury.
- No referral is required.
Can I claim the cost of the consultation and the cost of the boot through Health Insurance?
- Yes. Both are claimable through your Private Health Insurance.
Cam Walkers can be used for the treatment of:
- Fractures and stress fractures of the foot, ankle and lower leg
- Soft tissue tears/ruptures(muscle, tendon or other cartilaginous tissues)
- Ankle sprains
- Trauma to the foot through injury or surgery(Post surgery)
- To aid the healing of wounds and foot ulcers
Advantages of using a Cam Walker opposed to a Plaster cast:
- Ability to remove the boot for showering and sleeping
- More comfortable than plaster casting
- Easily adjustable if there is swelling
- The ability to walk around without the aid of crutches.
When should I wear my Boot?
- Every fracture or soft tissue injury is unique to the individual, however in most cases, the cam walker boot is worn during weight bearing throughout the day and removed for sleeping, showering and driving the car.
Please call our Clinic for a professional fitting.
At the Kew Foot Clinic we have a flat entrance(No ramp/no stairs to climb)with large car parking availability on site.